ESE 2019 Mains Mechanical Engineering Conventional Paper I Previous Conventional Questions with Solutions
In UPSC Engineering Services, Conventional Papers have 54.5% weightage in the entire process of written test.
In Paper – I of Mechanical Engineering four subjects are included as follows:
- Thermal Engineering
- Heat Transfer
- Fluid Mechanics & Turbomachinery
- Renewable Sources of Energy
The following approach is advisable to secure maximum marks.
- While solving any question the following appropriate steps should generally be followed. Steps will also have due weightage.
- Mention the data given
- Draw the appropriate figure, if applicable , with parts labelled properly
- State the concept on which the problem is being solved
- Write the relevant formulae with standard notations and abbreviations.
- Incase the question is to be solved from the fundamentals, necessary derivations should be done. Otherwise 70% of marks one has to lose. If the question carries more marks (like 10 to 20 marks) detailed analysis is compulsory to score high. If the question carries less marks (<8) the formulae with abbreviations and concept may be sufficient. In any case, the assumptions made shall be written clearly while solving a problem.
- The neatness and presentation of solutions will have 5% marks.
- Using short sentences and brevity in expressing the content is appreciated.
Practice of numerical problems using calculator is very much essential instead of reading merely.